Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Australia version of the ebook
by kevinfloyd Today at 5:27 pm

» getoutofdebtfree site clone
by Margo2104 Today at 2:58 pm

» Theresa May’s Plan
by Mrblue2017 Today at 1:05 pm

» Cabot- is there a realistic chance to fight them?
by waylander62 Today at 11:08 am

» Reality chat , every wednesday at 8pm (ish)
by Society of the Spectacle Yesterday at 7:31 pm

» 3 letter process
by projectzoo Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» Lowell - Cohen Solicitors
by waylander62 Yesterday at 12:04 pm

» raconteurs news
by LionsShare Yesterday at 10:25 am

» utility bill accounts
by LionsShare Yesterday at 10:20 am

» What response to Application for county court using N244
by waylander62 Yesterday at 1:29 am

» Arrow transferred to drydensolicitors
by Mrblue2017 Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:44 pm

» Drydensfairfax Soliciitors - Statute Barred?
by janloot Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:26 pm

» cabot/restons/county court
by Johnnyred Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:40 pm

» EU's Mandatory Biometric ID Card - on its way!
by Kestrel Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 am

» sol excalibre with cookiemonster
by Society of the Spectacle Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:31 pm

» Latest from CrimeBodge
by assassin Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:57 am

» Help needed please with Robinson Way
by codtree Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:08 pm

» CABOT filed CCJ application despite 3-letter process
by davidg4039 Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:47 am

» Lowell Letter of Claim
by waylander62 Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:30 pm

» Lowell Court order
by waylander62 Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:52 pm

» A previous member from old
by daveiron Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:40 pm

» Hi from South West of England
by assassin Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm

» Final Notice - Bailiff
by Solosmurf Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:28 pm

» Lowell threatening me Again !!
by barnwebb Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:33 pm

» Investigation as video of West Midlands Police 'restraint' goes viral
by Lopsum Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:28 am

» Intrum Finance letter advice please.
by Ithesoul Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:11 pm

» Overdraft LOAN has been sold to DCA
by Prometheus Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:56 pm

» sip parking notice
by lisa40 Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:30 pm

» Natural Health
by Solosmurf Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:46 pm

» Private messaging
by Solosmurf Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:03 pm

» More Lowell Success
by Mrblue2017 Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:32 pm

» 5G AND it's implications | WOW it is scary and can't be allowed
by Mrblue2017 Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:28 am

» Return to sender
by Ausk Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:39 am

» Should these missed payments have been a default?
by assassin Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:11 am

» NHS /PENALTY CHARGES
by assassin Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:01 am

» Collectica - Marston Holdings
by waylander62 Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:32 pm

» Collectica - Marston Holdings
by chopstick Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:58 am

» LOWELL FREE PHONE
by rotterdamuk Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:49 pm

» Latest Rich Planet vids Richard Hall
by daveiron Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:18 am

» 24 Storey Tower on Fire in Kensington - dies
by Awoken2 Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:35 am

» Rozer's get a PCN
by midnight Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:38 pm

» 5G Freedom of Information requests
by daveiron Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:17 pm

» Hoist Portfolio/Howard Cohen – Letter of Claim ?
by barnwebb Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:57 pm

» Rossendales in respect of Council Tax debt...
by waylander62 Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:50 am

» Private Banking?
by LionsShare Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:47 am

» This Could Be Just Down Your Street
by Lopsum Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:37 am

» intrum advice please
by waylander62 Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:27 pm

Moon phases


Has a Default Notice been served?

Go down

Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by Waffle on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:28 am

Prior to a "creditor" taking certain action a default notice MUST be served on the debtor. This default notice must meet the specific requirements under the Consumer Credit Enforcement Default and Termination Regulations 1983.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1983/1561/contents/made

These are very specific, the wording in the default notice has to be exact and has to be served very specifically. This is also legislated under s76 of the Consumer Credit Agreement Act

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/76

There is a number of loop holes surrounding a default notice and the termination of a contract, if not executed correctly by the OC, the OC and the purchaser have no right of action.

Waffle
dedicated
dedicated

Posts : 786
Join date : 2017-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by petesomething on Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Hi Waffle,

This is great information people are not aware of. For instance a bank cannot legally sell your debt without sending a default notice. But if you have to go to court, it is no good just saying I never received a default notice. The bank will say or their solicitor will say they did, and the court will believe them. However if you do receive a default notice, don't just throw it in the bin, check your details, has it got the correct account number, your correct full name and address, has it given you a time frame in which to reply to the default notice.

If not keep it safe, this can act as part of your defense in court. Because for instance, if it is the wrong account number, you can argue you never got a default notice for the account you defaulted on.
petesomething
petesomething
Admin
Admin

Posts : 395
Join date : 2017-02-24
Location : NORTHAMPTON

Back to top Go down

Re: Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by Waffle on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi petesomething

It is important for us to know legally what the exact process and wording should be, we need to be looking at every detail we can. Even the wording they use has to be very precise.

Waffle
dedicated
dedicated

Posts : 786
Join date : 2017-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by handle on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:21 pm

make note of s76
(6)Subsection (1) does not apply to a right of enforcement arising by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of the regulated agreement.

handle
dedicated
dedicated

Posts : 557
Join date : 2017-04-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by petesomething on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 pm

HI Waffle

i have always said you are brilliant at research Very Happy
petesomething
petesomething
Admin
Admin

Posts : 395
Join date : 2017-02-24
Location : NORTHAMPTON

Back to top Go down

Re: Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by Waffle on Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:59 pm

Handle, thanks for taking note of that.

Thanks Petesomething I get a lot of inspiration from reading your comments.




Ive just taken the time to look at all this in more detail. s 76 is actually for non-defaulted accounts.

Its s 87 & 88 of the 1974 act we should look at for defaulted accounts.

87 Need for default notice.

(1)Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice ”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,—
(a)to terminate the agreement, or
(b)to demand earlier payment of any sum, or
(c)to recover possession of any goods or land, or
(d)to treat any right conferred on the debtor or hirer by the agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred, or
(e)to enforce any security.

88 Contents and effect of default notice


Then the default notice MUST be within the very particular form laid out in schedule 2 of the Consumer Credit Default & Termination Regulations. see here

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1983/1561/schedule/2/made


A "creditor" is not entitled to demand earlier payment, terminate the agreement, recover possession of goods, treat any right conferred on the debtor as terminated, restricted or deferred and they cannot enforce a security.

They cannot sell it on if there is no proper service of a default.

Those default notices need to be looked at very closely and made sure they have been properly constructed and properly served.

Waffle
dedicated
dedicated

Posts : 786
Join date : 2017-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by Candor on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:59 pm

So wuddya reckon. does this expand and clarify on S136 of the 1925 LoPA, which lets face it is about as helpful as a glass hook ?

Candor
news worthy
news worthy

Posts : 148
Join date : 2017-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by Tiggy on Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:18 pm

@Candor wrote:So wuddya reckon. does this expand and clarify on S136 of the 1925 LoPA, which lets face it is about as helpful as a glass hook ?
No, they are different aspects of law, the Law of Property Act deals with the assignment of the debt which can be done even where a default notice hasn't beenissued.

The question of the default notice comes into it where you're defending against a claim being brought, as under the Consumer Credit Act you have to issue a Default Notice, it's classed as it's the Cause of Action. If one hasn't been issued, then neither an original creditor nor any debt purchaser technically should issue proceedings.

This only applies to debts covered by the Consumer Credit Act.

The other aspect of a Default Notice (and where a lot of people fall down!) is it's also classed as the Cause of Action under the Limitations Act 1980, so for a debt to be statute barred it's 6 years (5 in Scotland) from the issue of the formal Default Notice NOT from when you actually stopped paying.

Again, only for debts covered by the CCA.

Tiggy
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 640
Join date : 2017-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by Candor on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Thanks Tiggy for clearing that up, I was of the impression the statutory information regards the DN seems to be a lot clearer than it is for Assignments.

Candor
news worthy
news worthy

Posts : 148
Join date : 2017-07-20

Back to top Go down

a quick question!

Post by johnny7 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:58 am

@petesomething wrote:Hi Waffle,

This is great information people are not aware of. For instance a bank cannot legally sell your debt without sending a default notice. But if you have to go to court, it is no good just saying I never received a default notice. The bank will say or their solicitor will say they did, and the court will believe them. However if you do receive a default notice, don't just throw it in the bin, check your details, has it got the correct account number, your correct full name and address, has it given you a time frame in which to reply to the default notice.

If not keep it safe, this can act as part of your defense in court. Because for instance, if it is the wrong account number, you can argue you never got a default notice for the account you defaulted on.


pete what do you mean by this? I have never received a default notice and I am going to court soon - are you saying that me telling them I have never received one means nothing to my defence? thanks

johnny7
Newb
Newb

Posts : 5
Join date : 2018-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by handle on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:20 pm

@Tiggy wrote:
@Candor wrote:So wuddya reckon. does this expand and clarify on S136 of the 1925 LoPA, which lets face it is about as helpful as a glass hook ?
No, they are different aspects of law, the Law of Property Act deals with the assignment of the debt which can be done even where a default notice hasn't beenissued.  

The question of the default notice comes into it where you're defending against a claim being brought, as under the Consumer Credit Act you have to issue a Default Notice, it's classed as it's the Cause of Action.  If one hasn't been issued, then neither an original creditor nor any debt purchaser technically should issue proceedings.

This only applies to debts covered by the Consumer Credit Act.

The other aspect of a Default Notice (and where a lot of people fall down!) is it's also classed as the Cause of Action under the Limitations Act 1980, so for a debt to be statute barred it's 6 years (5 in Scotland) from the issue of the formal Default Notice NOT from when you actually stopped paying.

Again, only for debts covered by the CCA.

Tiggy, what if the assigned DCA starts litigation just within the 6 years, but withdraws before the hearing. Does the original 6 years apply?.....or by commencing and stopping litigation actually gets them past the stat of limitations.

handle
dedicated
dedicated

Posts : 557
Join date : 2017-04-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Has a Default Notice been served?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum