Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another noob faced with a DC
by onak Today at 2:19 am

» in house enforcement agents
by midnight Today at 1:54 am

» Intrum Finance letter advice please.
by Ithesoul Yesterday at 9:30 pm

» Debt purchaser using DCA to initiate court proceedings but purchaser without permissions is on court papers
by waylander62 Yesterday at 8:39 pm

» CCJ
by Taz Yesterday at 6:23 pm

» Essex & Suffolk Water
by Sharpysparky Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» Latest from CrimeBodge
by LionsShare Yesterday at 5:45 pm

» Hillary Snuff Video Resurfaces! Horrifying!
by handle Yesterday at 4:22 pm

» ...Is this proof privatisation does not work?
by ceylon Yesterday at 12:34 pm

» Reality chat with peter howard and company
by Society of the Spectacle Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:34 pm

» NIP - speeding with photo evidence
by daveiron Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:12 pm

» UK Column
by ceylon Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm

» ...Brexit are you taking the piss?
by ceylon Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:12 pm

» The End of London. Prepare Yourself.
by ceylon Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:56 am

» CCJ Delivered. I was unaware as i dont live at the address
by MEATBALL Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:31 am

» Motorists could face £100 fine for driving too close to cyclists
by Ausk Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:55 am

» Treason May or Peter of England
by assassin Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:31 am

» new PPI ruling
by handle Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:30 pm

» Ozone Therapy
by Kestrel Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:30 pm

» ...Who wants to travel 10 years back in time?
by ceylon Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:34 pm

» 5G & Smart Meters
by daveiron Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:59 am

» Drydens Fairfax
by Swan Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 am

» This just sums so much up....
by Kestrel Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:15 am

» sol excalibre with cookiemonster
by Society of the Spectacle Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:17 pm

» 24 Storey Tower on Fire in Kensington - dies
by Awoken2 Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:52 pm

» Watch This!
by LionsShare Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:09 pm

» ...Would a high vis vest put you off sex?
by ceylon Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:16 pm

» Hello Everyone,
by freeland Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:08 pm

» ...Are there any more signs of a coming financial crash?
by ceylon Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:31 pm

» ...Does the UN plan to destroy Europe?
by Lopsum Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:23 am

» Statute Barred after set aside
by daveiron Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:32 am

» My personal favourite
by chong Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:27 pm

» Let's Have Some Tunes thread.
by chong Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 pm

» ...Are the police here to protect you or rape your kids?
by ceylon Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:07 pm

» Bulk Data Collection By NSA and GCHQ Violated Human Rights Charter, European Court Rules
by ceylon Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:47 am

» Latest Rich Planet vids Richard Hall
by daveiron Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:05 pm

» ...BREXIT is there any evidence we are going to leave?
by ceylon Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:33 pm

» Cabot / Restons Claim
by waylander62 Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:55 am

» 3 letter system for DCAs (not debt purchasers) needed?
by daveiron Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:20 am

» National non-compliance day
by chong Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:09 am

» Data Protection Act 1998
by LionsShare Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:18 pm

» UK KIDS ...WANT DEAD BABY CELLS UP YOUR NOSE? NHS ANNUAL FLU NASAL SPRAY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdGXQ61LCgE&feature=em-uploademail
by ceylon Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:45 pm

» …Does commerce control the government?
by ceylon Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:31 pm

» Cabot- is there a realistic chance to fight them?
by annap Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:58 pm

» justinian deception
by Ausk Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:29 am

» GERMAN COPS JOIN THE PEOPLES PROTESTS
by Society of the Spectacle Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:11 pm

» Justinian Deception Channel ( Romley Stewart)
by Society of the Spectacle Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:06 pm

Moon phases


Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Go down

Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by SAFA on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Hello Everyone.
The council have alleged that Tax has not been paid by my partner, and now has been summoned to court with extra court charges.
The council demands the council tax to be paid on 21st of the month, however my girlfriend only gets paid on 28th of the month. She had spoken to the council about this issue months ago, this was discussed and agreed over the telephone and setup a standing order for the 28th of each month after she has been paid. Everything has been fine over the past couple months, and now all of a sudden this. How can this be, they have been getting their money every month. What can we do? My girlfriend says she is prepared to go to court, what can we do? how can this be right. Please help. :-)
avatar
SAFA
Not so newb
Not so newb

Posts : 7
Join date : 2017-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by Tiggy on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:14 pm

@SAFA wrote:Hello Everyone.
The council have alleged that Tax has not been paid by my partner, and now has been summoned to court with extra court charges.
The council demands the council tax to be paid on 21st of the month, however  my girlfriend only gets paid on 28th of the month. She had spoken to the council about this issue months ago, this was discussed and agreed over the telephone and setup a standing order for the 28th of each month after she has been paid. Everything has been fine over the past couple months, and now all of a sudden this. How can this be, they have been getting their money every month. What can we do? My girlfriend says she is prepared to  go to court, what can we do? how can this be right. Please help. :-)
Did she get a letter of confirmation about the change of payment date ?

Tiggy
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 640
Join date : 2017-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by Ausk on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:08 am

Always polity ask the person on the other end to send you confirmation, in writing is most preferred, ie not in electronic format.

if they say their company 'policy' prohibits this ask for a copy of that too.

Ausk
Not so newb
Not so newb

Posts : 385
Join date : 2017-06-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by MikeThomas on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:37 pm

If debt is civil then why does the Magistrates Court claim jurisdiction on Council Tax?

MikeThomas
Not so newb
Not so newb

Posts : 38
Join date : 2017-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by LionsShare on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:44 pm

@MikeThomas wrote:If debt is civil then why does the Magistrates Court claim jurisdiction on Council Tax?
Hi MikeThomas,

please read this thread from start to finish, it may give you the answer you seek:

http://goodf.forumotion.com/t604p25-liability-order-in-respect-of-council-tax
avatar
LionsShare
Not so newb
Not so newb

Posts : 455
Join date : 2017-04-26
Location : Literally Where Ever I Am

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by Tiggy on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:04 pm

@MikeThomas wrote:If debt is civil then why does the Magistrates Court claim jurisdiction on Council Tax?

It's written into the Council Tax (Administration & Enforcement) Regulations 1992 that non payment is dealt with by the Magistrates Court and because it includes committal proceedings for a refusal to pay.

Tiggy
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 640
Join date : 2017-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by SAFA on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi Tiggy, thanks for your information, we will phone the council tomorrow and ask for confirmation that they do not issue change in payment in writing via post, she will ask them tomorrow to send this information. They did confirm over the phone a couple of months ago that the changes were made and not to worry, she has logged this call the date and time and can ask for a copy of the phone call. We will phone them tomorrow and keep everyone updated on how things go. My girlfiend is upset at the moment and emotionally unable to read legislation at the moment. But we will have a look over the weekend when she feels better. Love you guys thanks.
avatar
SAFA
Not so newb
Not so newb

Posts : 7
Join date : 2017-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by Ausk on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:16 am

@Tiggy wrote:
@MikeThomas wrote:If debt is civil then why does the Magistrates Court claim jurisdiction on Council Tax?

It's written into the Council Tax (Administration & Enforcement) Regulations 1992 that non payment is dealt with by the Magistrates Court and because it includes committal proceedings for a refusal to pay.

This is why we all need to lean commercial or contract law. According to commercial law, everything is an offer and we have 4 ways of dealing with it.

1. Remain silent. The number one Fatal mistake!
2. Reject it
3. Accept it
4. Conditionally Accept it - I accept you offer to pay by xyz date conditional upon proof of claim that (for example; the Council Tax, Administration & Enforcement, Regulations 1992, prohibits the council from granting a period of 7 days grace to those who submit documentary evidence of financial hardship with in 7 days of request for such evidence.)

Conditionally accepted offers put the onus of proof on to the other party.

look up Creditors in Commerce - Contract = Law Workshops

Ausk
Not so newb
Not so newb

Posts : 385
Join date : 2017-06-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by SAFA on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Court case is 15th January 2018, our best defense would be Conditionally accept as suggested by Ausk (Thanks Ausk). Also we could ask the council to show proof where My partner has refused to pay. My partner has not refused to pay, she only moved her payment date of her direct debit to a standing order to fall after her date she gets paid by her employer to avoid direct debits being returned again. She telephoned the council and agreed to do a standing order. Her standing order is calculated so that the council receives the full payment after a year (Using the council figures). Full payment divided by 12. So the payments will be up to date after the 12th payment (month) or 1 year. SO I cant see how the council says she is refusing to pay. Along with a conditional offer of acceptance we will also ask the council where their proof is that She has refused to pay. Thanks for the help everyone I will keep everyone posted as we progress, and read into legislation. You have restored our confidence thank you. Have a great new year chat soon. :-)
avatar
SAFA
Not so newb
Not so newb

Posts : 7
Join date : 2017-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by Tiggy on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 pm

@SAFA wrote:Court case is 15th January 2018, our best defense would be Conditionally accept as suggested by Ausk (Thanks Ausk). Also we could ask the council to show proof where My partner has refused to pay. My partner has not refused to pay, she only moved her payment date of her direct debit to a standing order to fall after her date she gets paid by her employer to avoid direct debits being returned again. She telephoned the council and agreed to do a standing order. Her standing order is calculated so that the council receives the full payment after a year (Using the council figures). Full payment divided by 12. So the payments will be up to date after the 12th payment (month) or 1 year. SO I cant see how the council says she is refusing to pay. Along with a conditional offer of acceptance we will also ask the council where their proof is that She has refused to pay. Thanks for the help everyone I will keep everyone posted as we progress, and read into legislation. You have restored our confidence thank you. Have a great new year chat soon. :-)

That's where she's gone wrong, under Schedule 1 of the Council Tax (Adminstration & Enforcement) Regulations 1992 if you pay be monthly instalments then you pay over 10 months not 12, that's why they've issued the summons.

Tiggy
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 640
Join date : 2017-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by SAFA on Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:05 am

mmm, interesting, thanks for the info Tiggy, would a conditional offer of acceptance suffice?
avatar
SAFA
Not so newb
Not so newb

Posts : 7
Join date : 2017-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by Tiggy on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:42 am

@SAFA wrote:mmm, interesting, thanks for the info Tiggy, would a conditional offer of acceptance suffice?
Suffice? In what way? It won't stop them granting the liability order and demanding the full amount outstanding for the year, if that's what you mean.

Tiggy
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 640
Join date : 2017-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by SAFA on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:23 am

Sorry about not being specific. You are correct, My girlfriend confirms that her payments are spread over a year, she made this offer over the phone, they excepted it and did not tell her she would end up in court. They can do a liability order and demand the payment in full, they simply wont get their money he does not have it, that is why she offered to pay over a 12 month period. I thought this phone call to the council was a conditional offer of acceptance. The call was recorded allegedly. What I meant by suffice was, would a conditional offer of acceptance keep the council from taking her to court? Her court case is on 11 January not 15th like I said previously, what would happen if she got a liability order, can they do this? This whole corrupt system blows my mind, they are cold evil bastards. Talking to us in a language we cant understand (Legalese) and them saying ignorance is no excuse. These people are not right in the head.
avatar
SAFA
Not so newb
Not so newb

Posts : 7
Join date : 2017-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by Tiggy on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:41 pm

@SAFA wrote:Sorry about not being specific. You are correct, My girlfriend confirms that her payments are spread over a year, she made this offer over the phone, they excepted it and did not tell her she would end up in court. They can do a liability order and demand the payment in full, they simply wont get their money he does not have it, that is why she offered to pay over a 12 month period. I thought this phone call to the council was a conditional offer of acceptance. The call was recorded allegedly. What I meant by suffice was, would a conditional offer of acceptance keep the council from taking her to court? Her court case is on 11 January not 15th like I said previously, what would happen if she got a liability order, can they do this? This whole corrupt system blows my mind, they are cold evil bastards. Talking to us in a language we cant understand (Legalese) and them saying ignorance is no excuse. These people are not right in the head.

I think there may have been a misunderstanding over the telephone call, the person she spoke to couldn't agree repayment over 12 months, the regulations simply don't allow for it.

I suspect they thought she just wanted to change the date of her instalment payment.

So in answer, yes they can get the liability order, the best thing for her to do would be to go into the offices and explain the misunderstanding and see what if anything they can do, as a liability order adds £70 to the bill and then they start adding on hundreds in enforcement costs.

Tiggy
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 640
Join date : 2017-08-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by waylander62 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:59 pm

i dont normally get involved with council tax issues too much conflicting information however having read through this briefly i will offer my own bit of advice.

The council can and often do spread payments over 12 months instead of 10, and can and often do change the payment date to help people who have contacted them, normally if you have made an arrangement over the phone they will send you an amended bill with the number of payments to be made, the amount to be paid each month, and the date upon which in needs to be paid.
1) has an amended bill been sent through the post
2) have they sent you letters reminding you that your payments are overdue and threatening further action
if your court 'hearing' is on the 11th january then you have time to sort this before going to court.

waylander62
Not so newb
Not so newb

Posts : 147
Join date : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Court summons for non payment of council Tax.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum