The GOODF Approach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Allodial Title
by urchinatheart Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:13 am

» Grow Potatoes
by Mrblue2015 Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 am

» Feed Yourself For Less
by assassin Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:23 pm

» New GOODF - small account closed upon Notice 3
by RaspberryBlu Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:02 pm

» DWP
by daveiron Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 am

» LGA1888 sect79 sub2
by urchinatheart Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 am

» Know who you are
by badvoc Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:51 pm

» Know Who You Are Even More Volumes To Come
by LionsShare Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:24 am

» Council Tax questions we should all be asking
by LionsShare Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:05 am

» Woke, Nimbys, Snowflakes and idiots
by urchinatheart Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:09 am

» Never Buy Seeds Again
by assassin Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:14 pm

» Ovo bank giro?
by LionsShare Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:07 pm

» Is your car a government remote controled car???
by Lopsum Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:48 pm

» peacekeepers apprantly get a c'tax win?
by LionsShare Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:14 am

» Can I Complete The Food Circle
by urchinatheart Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:46 am

» Council tax and summons for arrest
by LionsShare Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:44 pm

» THIS IS THE ONE ?
by schist Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:04 pm

» Garden Share
by assassin Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:37 pm

» Allotments
by assassin Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:36 pm

» Are Lowell getting desperate ?
by Mrblue2015 Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:59 am

» Serial Posty been awarded £10'000 for a fake bite
by assassin Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:23 pm

» The new ruling, lie-ability order
by assassin Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:04 pm

» HO HO HO not that shinning or with clean hands !!!!!!
by badvoc Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:12 pm

by schist Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:00 pm

» DSAR
by daveiron Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:12 pm

» DVLA [Hick] Does It Work [Hick] ?
by Miss Kermit Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

» know who you are volume ??
by daveiron Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 pm

» Hopefully A Success
by daveiron Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:28 pm

» Most Complete Bank Giro Credit
by LionsShare Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:06 pm

» Knowing our Lawful rights
by daveiron Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:05 am

» More Illegal Immigrants
by assassin Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:43 pm

» SAR dispute
by assassin Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:32 pm

» There goes Ireland, his off.
by midnight Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:07 pm

» The infamous DP continus
by urchinatheart Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:01 pm

» Call to the DVLA
by urchinatheart Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:36 pm

» BEWARE OF TSB BANK
by daveiron Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:53 am

» Help / Advice needed on ongoing neighbour harassment
by memegirl777 Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:51 pm

» United Kingdom? Really?
by assassin Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:17 pm

» DWP and HMRC alleged debts
by assassin Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:20 pm

» HSBC advice please.
by Trishiapp28 Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:36 am

» He is going to save us again
by flyingfish Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 pm

» Government fraud
by midnight Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:01 am

» how to remove a shareholder?
by scrwm Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 pm

» I DO NOT CONSENT [62%] - ReformUK got 5% of the electorate. Labour 17%
by badvoc Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:25 pm

» What can ai do about Santander
by Godfastro Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:47 am

» Useful videos Council Tax
by daveiron Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 pm

» broadcaster vs me
by scrwm Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:37 pm

» The new GOODF process works
by urchinatheart Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:45 am

» Worth a watch
by LionsShare Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:11 am

» Farmers IsThis What's Needed?
by LionsShare Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:46 pm

» Debt Bomb 11
by Biggiebest Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:05 pm

» accepted dca alleged debt
by Mrblue2015 Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:09 pm

» DVLA
by daveiron Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:20 pm

» Solicitors contacted me via e-mail asking for money.
by Kaddabriol Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:12 pm

» Claiming again
by LionsShare Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:07 am

Moon phases

Car Rip Offs

3 posters

Go down

Car Rip Offs Empty Car Rip Offs

Post by assassin Fri May 25, 2018 7:35 pm

I thought it would be nice over the weekend to get posters to list their car rip offs and what and why they hate them, and possibly look a little further into them, so feel free to add your own car related scams and why you hate them.

Engine management Warning Light Scam

This is when you are driving along and suddenly the engine management warning light illuminates, you suddenly lose power and your engine revs are limited, you suddenly have "that clap of doom" moment as you think you have to take your vehicle into the main dealer for them to plug it in and diagnose the fault for a princely sum of money and for them to find other work at inflated prices, which doesn't need doing.

Nothing could be further from the truth as in reality a dealer may charge you for an hours labour when they are only plugging your vehicle into their computer and diagnosing the problem, which takes less than 5 minutes, and for very little you can buy your own diagnostics machine and do it yourself for nothing if you have the tool and you know where the diagnostics socket is.

Since 2010 all European vehicles and those imported into Europe have to have an engine management diagnostics system fitted and this is another ECU (electronic control unit) which constantly monitors all of the vehicular functions related to "environmental and safety" functions and most cover many other functions, and if it detects a fault it stores this in a non volatile RAM (random access memory) which means that when you switch the engine off, it retains the data in a numerical format called a fault code, this is normally displayed as a number on a cheap fault code reader, but on more expensive fault code readers it will give the numerical code and display the fault in text.
How can we diagnose these faults ourself? buy a fault code reader and find out where your diagnostics plug is, learn how to use your fault code reader and plug it in and run through the diagnostics sequence and it will tell you what the fault is.

This is called the OBD 2 system or On Board Diagnostics system which is now harmonised, and you can buy a cheap fault code reader for less than £20 by shopping around, and with these readers you do have to ensure they cover your particular vehicle, and they generally come with a book of codes which you have to read to identify your particular fault code in relation to your vehicle. Some manufacturers use their own systems and BMW and Mitsubishi have their own systems, I have a Mitsubishi and they use the MUTT system so you do have to check that your vehicle is compatible.

What do they cover? anything related to environmental or safety systems, but cheaper readers many not include diagnostics for anti lock braking systems (ABS) while more expensive FCR's will include things such as the air conditioning systems on many vehicles, so you need to identify what they cover and what you need them to cover.

Now the scam begins and the car manufacturers have the patter down to a tee for the customers as they include many things into their engine diagnostic systems, Fiat are notorious for fitting oil level sensors which fail, and something as a faulty as low oil levels can trigger the engine management light, and something as simple as letting the oil bet slightly low will trigger it, solving it is as simple as adding a little oil, where as a main dealer would simply add their oil at highly inflated prices or they would do a full oil and filter change if they wanted to inflate the work.

Similarly, if the catalytic convertor begins to clog up with prolonged short, or stop start runs in town centers or similar, they need to regenerate and this is as simple as having a sustained long run at over 40 MPH for 20 minutes for most vehicles regenerate themselves during these conditions, a dealer may offer you a clean for several hundred £££££'s or replace it if they want to make more money from you, and you can regenerate it yourself for a little fuel and time, and for much less than a dealer would charge.

So, we can conclude that with many types of OBD 2 reader we can diagnose our own faults and cure them ourselves, and save ourselves a fortune on garage fees and prevent them doing work which is not needed.
assassin
assassin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Car Rip Offs Empty Re: Car Rip Offs

Post by daveiron Fri May 25, 2018 8:07 pm

Sod it, wish I had known about those cheap readers .I have a Mitsubishi L200 & took it to the garage today with a fault.
daveiron
daveiron
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Bombadil Thu May 31, 2018 8:59 pm

I Loved Toyota .

On the missus's recommendations we got an almost new jobbie.

It was a nightmare. Always needing re-indexing you know, turning the management system off and on again. I knew where the switch was.

Anyway. We worked out the cost of purchase, against the cost of new car repairs and servicing against insurance, fuel etc.

We worked out that over the 3 years of ownership we had paid 3k and over on average per year.

I said let's not do this anymore. Got a second hand deisel jobbie for £1.500. I figured that we could do that each year and still be better off.

We have had it for four years. Perfect runner. No engine issues, cheap to service. Cheap to re tyre.

So in all, it has saved us more than £2.600 a year. That's 10k.

I suggest we really evaluate our car circumstances more often.

Good points on that scam though. We learned that by turning it off and on again, we were able at the time to save hundreds.
Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil
Very helpful
Very helpful

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:59 am

We run Toyota Tom and they have provrn to be great company cars, if we get a problem Toyota replace it due to the amount we buy.
assassin
assassin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:26 am

Convenience systems are the worst as they are huge money spinners now, and many companies engineer them this way.

Take the old Ford Sierra, they were around £18,000 for a top spec model, when they were selling them off they were sold for £10,000 so why were they so expensive in the first place if they could be sold off for so little?

So, you have your new or newish car and it has all the bling, the sat nav, reversing sensors at the rear or even the front and rear, the lane departure warning system, traffic sign recognition, tyre pressure monitoring, and even rear parking cameras to name a few.

You do your shopping and a trolley hits your bumper and doesn't even mark it, suddenly your sensors don't work and instead of not getting a bill for unseen damage, you get a bill of over (well over in some cases) for a pretty standard car which is a popular model and a large volume seller, but why.
The cost of the sensors alone ramps the price up, but do you know that you cannot paint them as the painf prevents the sensors from working, and you have to have them calibrated by a main dealer to the vehicle, not bad for damage you cannot see.
Lane departure warning systems are worse as they have front sensors in the bumper, and others behind the windscreen to get the three dimensional image they need to work, you get the same problems as the rear sensors, but you also have to have them all calibrated together and then aligned to each other so they have at least three reference points for the system to work, and the costs are hiked again.

Sat nav is an excellent money spinner as if you have a brand new car and you take it to the dealer for routing servicing within its 3 year warranty, the dealer automatically does the updates to the sat nav system, but even the updates are out of date as they may have been programmed a year before so your updates are already a year out of date. Come out of the main dealer servicing or have a car which is out of the manufacturers warranty and most companies do not update them, and again this is lucrative for the company as you have to pay for an update, or you have to buy a new memory card.
assassin
assassin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Bombadil Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:22 pm

assassin wrote:We run Toyota Tom and they have provrn to be great company cars, if we get a problem Toyota replace it due to the amount we buy.

We had a Privia at forst.  It's as tough as old boots, and took us and our kids everywhere.  We only got rid of it cos it was a gas guzzler.

When I have the cash, I will buy an old type diesel if I can.

Loved em.

Edited to add....Look at me, I don't even have a license or even DRIVE! and I am talking about cars.
Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil
Very helpful
Very helpful

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:44 pm

But are you driving Tom? maybe you are travelling instead.
assassin
assassin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum