The GOODF Approach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» DWP
by daveiron Yesterday at 10:31 pm

» THIS IS THE ONE ?
by daveiron Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» Are Lowell getting desperate ?
by memegirl777 Yesterday at 9:33 pm

» DVLA [Hick] Does It Work [Hick] ?
by Miss Kermit Yesterday at 4:15 pm

» know who you are volume ??
by daveiron Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 pm

» Ovo bank giro?
by Wynston.adebiyi@gmail.com Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:10 pm

» Hopefully A Success
by daveiron Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:28 pm

» Most Complete Bank Giro Credit
by LionsShare Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:06 pm

» Knowing our Lawful rights
by daveiron Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:05 am

» More Illegal Immigrants
by assassin Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:43 pm

» SAR dispute
by assassin Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:32 pm

» There goes Ireland, his off.
by midnight Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:07 pm

» The infamous DP continus
by urchinatheart Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:01 pm

» Call to the DVLA
by urchinatheart Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:36 pm

» BEWARE OF TSB BANK
by daveiron Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:53 am

» Help / Advice needed on ongoing neighbour harassment
by memegirl777 Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:51 pm

» United Kingdom? Really?
by assassin Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:17 pm

» DWP and HMRC alleged debts
by assassin Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:20 pm

» Serial Posty been awarded £10'000 for a fake bite
by memegirl777 Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:05 pm

» HSBC advice please.
by Trishiapp28 Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:36 am

» He is going to save us again
by flyingfish Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 pm

» Government fraud
by midnight Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:01 am

» how to remove a shareholder?
by scrwm Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 pm

» I DO NOT CONSENT [62%] - ReformUK got 5% of the electorate. Labour 17%
by badvoc Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:25 pm

» What can ai do about Santander
by Godfastro Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:47 am

» Useful videos Council Tax
by daveiron Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 pm

» broadcaster vs me
by scrwm Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:37 pm

» The new GOODF process works
by urchinatheart Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:45 am

» Worth a watch
by LionsShare Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:11 am

» Farmers IsThis What's Needed?
by LionsShare Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:46 pm

» Debt Bomb 11
by Biggiebest Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:05 pm

» accepted dca alleged debt
by Mrblue2015 Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:09 pm

» DVLA
by daveiron Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:20 pm

» Solicitors contacted me via e-mail asking for money.
by Kaddabriol Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:12 pm

» Claiming again
by LionsShare Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:07 am

» Useful Utility Vids
by LionsShare Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:59 pm

» what the bank of england runs the country?
by LionsShare Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:54 pm

by daveiron Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:55 am

» Learning New Skills _Pt 2 Buying Tools
by assassin Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:35 am

» Learning New Skills _Pt 2 Buying Tools
by assassin Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:33 am

» Learning new Skills Part 1
by assassin Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:27 am

» General Equity?
by LionsShare Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:03 pm

» Visit by appointment notice
by Moonbabymum Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:37 pm

» Discussion on Info'd Vids
by LionsShare Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:52 am

» debts loans mortgages etc (tear off slips?)
by LionsShare Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:54 pm

» Quick one
by Lopsum Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:03 pm

» debt settlement payoff
by daveiron Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:58 pm

» Council tax and summons for arrest
by LionsShare Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:17 pm

» Council Tax (getting answers)
by LionsShare Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:57 pm

» council tax 1st of april
by daveiron Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:46 pm

» DSAR
by daveiron Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:28 pm

» Warning about a previous post
by Mrblue2015 Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:10 pm

» Please leave a comment on this site
by daveiron Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:01 pm

» Lithiun Battery Dangers
by badvoc Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:52 pm

» its a trap
by LionsShare Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:49 am

Moon phases

How to Grow Garlic

+2
Lopsum
Little D
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How to Grow Garlic Empty How to Grow Garlic

Post by Little D Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:22 pm

How to Grow Garlic Growing Tips and Advice

https://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/growing/tips-and-advice

Has a really handy growing calendar. Very Happy

Little D
dedicated
dedicated

Back to top Go down

How to Grow Garlic Empty Re: How to Grow Garlic

Post by Lopsum Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:36 am

i planted a few cloves of garlic last year and picked them about a month ago when it started to flower, the bulbs were small but it had formed a full crown, was v nice , will do more this september.
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

https://goodf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Little D Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:16 pm

Hey,

Yum yum  Smile, I think this year I will try some Elephant Garlic in a raised bed that has some space left and see how it goes.

Little D
dedicated
dedicated

Back to top Go down

Post by Lopsum Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:17 pm

do give some compost like the  tip says, mine went in right where potatoes went last year with nothing added on clay soil, left it to its own devices and all i planted survived though didnt get full sized, its certainly viable , easy to grow,can keep all year, you can grow alot in small area. 12 large bulbs would probably do me for a year
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little D Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Have you tried a cloche to extend the season, or start the soil warming in feb/march?, could be they didn't fill out due to the soil being clay,ish and colder for that extra month stunting growth.

I moved some good composted soil from 3 year old chippings/leaves into the raised beds to make space for a 'non permanent structure' 20x6 workspace, and filled the beds 70/30 with the top 30% being a mix of organic soil, perlite and vermiculite. I may scrape the top 30% around Sept time and add some of the dried chickens manure and then reapply the loose 30% top soil.

Little D
dedicated
dedicated

Back to top Go down

Post by Lopsum Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 pm

yes theres alot i could do, will give some attention this year , ive been making lots of compost to revive the soil. Its really bad and had been left several years before i took it on , all crops were small last year so much so that i hardly bothered this year and have been concentrating on making as much compost as possible and landscaping , pond is looking really good since i added a small solar pump.
 Rassberrys have done well, they dont seem to mind v poor conditions to thrive , have had a few Kg this year. So im thinking mostly fruit bushes and fruit trees would be best suited to the conditions. Then just use the best soil area for other things.
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little D Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Fair enough, not really sure on the best way to deal with clay,ish soil as I have been pretty lucky with the places I have grown, I guess your approach of just keep working compost into it is probably the best way short of removing a load of soil. assassin might know of a better way.

One option that may work is to make some raised beds with 2x4 and stake the corners and just hammer them straight into the ground which would at least give you 4 inches of no clay soil. I live next to a big park and it is riddled with raspberry bushes, just waiting for them to ripen and then going to pick a load to make some jam and freeze whatever is left over.

What is your plan for the pond, auquaponics?.

Little D
dedicated
dedicated

Back to top Go down

Post by daveiron Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:32 pm

One suggestion re raised beds ,

This year i have started to cover my garden with a membrane & containerize everything ( due to an accident i have probs with bending so weeding a prob)

The one I bought on ebay is made of the same material as the one ton bags ,only in black,it has a 30 year guarantee & drains well. Should be ideal for raised beds if stapled to a wooden frame and a lot cheaper than timber sides. I have already used it for the sides of a compost heap.
daveiron
daveiron
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Little D Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:24 pm

Good idea daveiron, I had a little look and it looks like you can get just big grow bed bags as well,

How to Grow Garlic Hqdefault

How to Grow Garlic 093713e5-a24c-43f1-bcce-9d119d922368_1000

This is how I put mine together but, it cost about £100 for 2 at 2x5 feet including stones and just normal weed fabric,

How to Grow Garlic Raised+beds+1

Little D
dedicated
dedicated

Back to top Go down

Post by Lopsum Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:45 pm

the pond is just for the aesthetics and wild life its just a tarp lined hole 3feet or so round and about 15inches deep in the middle, got a few goldfish and frogs, yorkshire stone surround ,lillys,reeds,marshy wild plants and grass collected from walks around it.Going to make a bigger pond which will be used for aquaponics.Im about to start digging it out ,should go now but its too wet :/

Dave if you do quite shallow beds that should be good ,stitch your own grow bags on a big scale.I might take that route . Thanks for the idea!
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by daveiron Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Looked at my purchased history 4mts x 25 mts = £39.99
fabricated my own ground staples from 6mm round bar .all working perfectly
daveiron
daveiron
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:28 pm

Improving the soil is easy for garlic, and it can all be recycled and FREE and like Lopsum my favourite word if FREE.

When people empty out their hanging baskets and tubs you get them to bag it up and give it to you, you then break it up and remove all the plants and roots and place on the compost heap and urinate on it, you take the compost and pile it up on your plot and mix with manure and stand for a year in the elements so the frost attacks it.

Scoop all your topsoil off an area and dig out the clay to a depth of 1 1/2 spits and mix the topsoil with some of the compost mixture in the early spring and replace the clay with it, you can also add home made compost and leaf mould if you have a compost heap and access to a mature wood to gather leaf mould.

If you have a rotovator and dont mind spending a little you remove the topsoil and buy some perlite or vermiculite and some sand, rotovate the clay to break it up and add and add the sand/perlite mixture and rotovate again to mix it with the clay as sand breaks down clay and turns it into soil. You can then proceed as above.
assassin
assassin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Lopsum Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:01 pm

yes i have seen this charles guy and recommended it to dave on the other site .

Ive read that clay soil can be turned round by digging in copious amounts of gypsum and other things but that would be an immense task for the whole plot.
so much easier to start again on top , some areas will be ok to dig compost in .

i dont mind a bit of digging , its good exercise.
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:16 am

Nobody mentioned clay topsoil.
assassin
assassin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lopsum Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:47 am

my plot has no topsoil, it is on a hill that is made of old mine spoil, the top soil is several tens of feet below if it is still there. The clay is fubar. Other plots have some topsoil, i presume it was added a long time ago when they made the allotments there. On my plot it looks like this is totally missing, its a few feet lower than next door plot.
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lopsum Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:53 am

no its mine spoil , from a mine , the entire hill . yes stuff grows in it but not well .I never said no weeds grow.
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lopsum Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:23 am

thats kind of whats happened, the beds are like troughs dug 1.5 spades down into the clay,it does stay wet like a swathe, the soil in the troughs is not the same as the clay so it has been added or seriously worked in the past , but in some places it is just clay with little or no work done to it.So ive dug out the worst spot and now that is my compost pit , when the pit is full will dig out more crap and replace with compost further along the bed just to get rid of the worst. The rest will revive with digging in compost generously.
its north south, beds run east west . Southerly winds can be a problem otherwise its well hedged, and on north slope of the hill.
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lopsum Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:05 pm

i think its been over landscaped , the top soil they would have added way back on top of the clay has either been removed or dug down hill exposing the clay entirely on the highest parts, the better soil does seem to be at the bottom end. Like i say the neighbors plot has proper soil to a fair depth ,but my plot is lower and has been dug to lessen the slope forming 3 tiers .
looking at the clay layer its a glacial clay,v sticky with loads of black shaley harder sedimentary layers mixed in. There was an old stone quarry there centurys ago and later the black shale stuff was investigated as a precursor to coal, so the hill the allotments were built on is the spoil from the excavations from looking for coal, they would have added loads of top soil to build the allotments originally.
Lopsum
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aarons1950 Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Iv'e got a couple of these in my garden.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Good-Value-130-ltrJumbo-Growbags-Ideal-Vegetable-Salad-Planter-JA/301481956117

I used a bit of old skirting to support the sides a bit more but they stand up well by themselves once there full anyway, and some dowling along the top, theres little chanells you can thread poles into for more support. Not deep enough for root crops but smashing for toms, strawbs, kale and rasberries Ive' got going on in them.

I foraged a lot of wild garlic this year and made pesto and hummus out of it, it was lovely.

aarons1950
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:33 am

Oh darling you are so right. Everyone mentions soil. How remiss of me.

Please note there are two layers in soil. Topsoil where all the 'growing activity' takes place and the sub soil which supports the topsoil. Digging by spade or plow mixes the two to the detriment of both.

Totally incorrect, soils contain many layers and not two layeers and not all growing activity takes place in the topsoil, and where did you get the idea of mixing it from as digging something into clay isn't mixing it with the topsoil.

It always amazes me how otherwise sane people will ignore what is right in front of their eyes as evidence of the way things are, farmers are the most blinkered of all. This is not a sleight on anyone simply an observation so keep the red pen in the drawer.

Nature builds soil from above. Walk anywhere and use the eyes to see how natures piles up 'the crap' essential to life.

Soils build from above and below so once again incorrect, clays break down when they are in the ground.

Makes no difference where the eyes look the evidence of how soil is built is everywhere and yet we don't see it and still want to dig and put 'the crap' where we think 'the crap' should be. Amazing totally amazing.

If you had even a basic understanding of soils and how they are made up, you wouldn't have made such a comment.

Oh nature has diggers many of them in many forms but they do not have spades and tractors and soil amendments and they all use 'the cr*p nature has diggers many of them in many forms but they do not have spades and tractors and soil amendments and they all use 'the crap' with which nature has covered the soil to build the soil.p' with which nature has covered the soil to build the soil.
Clay soils have a deficit of worms (natures number one pioneer digger, roots are just behind at number two ) and their entourage. Worms need decaying matter to eat and unless we are willing to sit back smoke a pipe and let nature cover the bare earth as quickly as she can we can give her a boost by covering the soil with anything that rots cardboard, leaves, straw, chipped tree cuttings, green manure, weeds. Once covered sow daikon radish (very deep roots that break clay without even trying) lupins (to fix nitrogen without even trying) red clover broad beans the list is almost endless.

So now you have contradicted your earlier statement and reitterated what I have said.

The daikon root once rotted provides a conduit through the clay where rains and floods will wash 'the crap' to create 'runs' of organic matter from which the soil life can fan out from all the while the above ground mulching keeps on going and the plant cover and mulch stop the clay from drying out thus speeding up the process. Before you know it clay has become friable soil full of life and fertility fungi bacteria and god knows what else that are a true community.
Just keep clay soil covered and it's inherent fertility locked inside its sticky particles will be freed for use by plants pretty damn quick.
assassin
assassin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next