Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Hawking Hoax
by Lopsum Today at 5:14 pm

» The propaganda files explained?
by ceylon Today at 4:57 pm

» Letter 1 response - CCA 1974 Fact Sheet
by Tiggy Today at 4:54 pm

» The Ledger Bait, Dead Men Have No Rights Justinian Deception Channel and ROHAN
by actinglikeabanker Today at 3:52 pm

» Councils reselling water
by Lopsum Today at 3:48 pm

» UK Column
by ceylon Today at 2:29 pm

» Lowell Court Claim & Mediation
by actinglikeabanker Today at 12:13 pm

» Non-limited Business Question
by LionsShare Today at 11:23 am

» Climate change just changed!
by urchinatheart Today at 9:42 am

» UBER
by Tom Bombadil Today at 9:18 am

» remedy for P.C.N/COUNCIL TAX
by urchinatheart Today at 8:53 am

» SUBJECT ACESS REQUEST
by assassin Today at 1:52 am

» Lloyds CreditCard - Northampton Court Claim Form received.
by sam66 Yesterday at 8:36 pm

» It's a "crime" to pay tax.......
by epsom Yesterday at 7:36 pm

» Mark Ceylon & Jason Holmes on raconteurs news 19/09/2017
by ceylon Yesterday at 12:32 pm

» Licence Revoked
by Jinxer Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:55 pm

» Cabot offer
by petesomething Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 pm

» Boats & Ships
by Society of the Spectacle Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:18 pm

» Wim Hof
by Society of the Spectacle Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:07 pm

» WeRe bank
by QUEENISABELLA Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:29 pm

» HAS-THE-WOOL-BEEN-PULLED-OVER-YOUR-EYES?
by 7tt7 Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:25 pm

» Parsons Green - most pathetic false flag ever?
by mitch Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:51 pm

» ok so i frist to post here, a way to move froward
by Tiggy Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:34 pm

» Land Registry
by Jinxer Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:43 am

» can you wait till 2021?
by actinglikeabanker Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:46 pm

» You Tube Convertor
by Society of the Spectacle Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:20 pm

» Cabot Financial Ltd
by Tiggy Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:18 pm

» New Alternative letters for DCA's ( acting as agents)
by daveiron Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:36 pm

» Lowell & Cohen Cramer - Directions Questionnaire Received
by andyb93 Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:22 pm

» New/old Member
by Society of the Spectacle Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:12 pm

» Reality chat with peter howard and company
by Lopsum Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:55 pm

» 911 Alchemy
by pitano1 Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:00 pm

» Statement from Barclaycard
by Tiggy Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:17 pm

» In plain sight.... Battleship.
by Awoken2 Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:00 pm

» HEAL YOURSELF natural remedies to all illness
by Ausk Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:26 am

» V.Important
by assassin Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:15 am

» Funds Delivered! What You Mean We Do What We Say!
by Tom Bombadil Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:34 pm

DCA chasing old debt from French mortgage - 2 questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DCA chasing old debt from French mortgage - 2 questions

Post by dereko on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Hi everyone, glad to have found your new home, I don't know what I would have done without your help last year. I'd appreciate suggestions on this new problem.

My wife has received a letter out of the blue from Credit Limits lnternational Ltd, Registered in England No 6854365 in Faversham, requesting payment of a debt in seven days of just over 8k on behalf of a Althea Gestion (by assignment from Credit Immobilier de France Developpement). The seven days have already expired as we weren't here when the letter arrived.

My wife owned an apartment in France with a mortgage from CI but it was (presumably) repossessed and she stopped hearing from anyone to do with it (property management com, bank, broker etc) about five, maybe seven years ago. Unfortunately she has long since shredded the documents so we're unsure how long ago exactly this all happened. Incidentally the letter is addressed to my wife in her maiden name, we were married nine-and-a-half years ago, not sure if that's relevant.

My question is - is the three letter process appropriate here, bearing in mind it's a mortgage, and overseas?

Depending on the answer to the above, my intention was to draft a letter saying:

A) What is this alleged debt, this is the first we've heard of it
B) Please provide documentation proving this alleged debt
C) Demanding payment out of the blue within seven days for an alleged debt could be considered as threatening behaviour (not sure about that one, tbh?).

Should anything be added to the above?

Very much appreciate any suggestions and assistance, thank you.

dereko
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Re: DCA chasing old debt from French mortgage - 2 questions

Post by Waffle on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:10 pm

If the debt is over 6 years old it should be statute barred limitations act 1980, if that applies in the case of an alleged debt from overseas. So long as your in the UK I don't see why it wouldn't apply. They are not going to hall you back to france for a debt like that.

No third party has the right to enforce any benefit of an agreement, contracts (rights of third parties) 1999.

You could go down the three letters route but if its older than 6 years its should be statute barred and they should not be pursuing your wife for it, nor should a third party be chasing your wife for it.

Im sure some other members will also provide some helpful comments throughout the day, I would wait until you get a broader opinion than just mine before you make a decision.

Waffle
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by daveiron on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi
Like waffLe ,I do not know how things stand re statute barred ,France etc,
hopefully others can give advise ,Some things spring to mind ,could you obtain any bank statements dating back that far or anything else that would give an idea of the date ?
Also should you wish to respond I notice they have given you 7 days to pay ,thus trying to dictate the timeframe ,
therefor give them the same timescale. Demand they supply full documentation to support their proof of claim ,within 7 days & if they do not tell them you will consider the matter closed.

daveiron
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:14 pm

It looks as though they changed the law on statute barring from 30 years to 5 years for moveables in 2008. However, for property it remains 30 years.

Do they have a Order of Payment from a French Court which they've converted to a European Enforcement Order?

Tiggy
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by dereko on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:22 pm

Tiggy wrote:Do they have a Order of Payment from a French Court which they've converted to a European Enforcement Order?

No idea what they have - all they've done is sent us a standard letter. Should the first step be to write as outlined above asking for proof/documentation?

dereko
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:46 pm

dereko wrote:
Tiggy wrote:Do they have a Order of Payment from a French Court which they've converted to a European Enforcement Order?

No idea what they have - all they've done is sent us a standard letter. Should the first step be to write as outlined above asking for proof/documentation?

What does the letter actually say and what was the 7 days deadline you referred to?

Tiggy
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by dereko on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:07 pm

The core is:

"We are international debt collectors and we have been appointed to recover the above outstanding debt. To resolve this matter, you must pay the above balance in full within 7 days, by cheque or bank payment. Alternatively, we are prepared to look into any meaningful repayment proposals you wish to put forward and take into account your current financial circumstances, or discuss any other solution. We are committed to try and resolve this matter amicably but we can only achieve this with your full cooperation. In any case, it is in your interest to contact us."

The rest is standard about right to seek independent legal advice etc.

I have just found out that my wife phoned them a few days ago because she was worried about not contacting them within the 7 days but as far as I know she said she doesn't know anything about it and please would they send proof.

Thank you.

dereko
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:39 am

My advise would be NEVER contact by telephone, but it's done now, just have to wait to see what they come back with.

Do you own your own property (in joint names) or are you renting. Is the debt for a significant amount ?

Tiggy
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by dereko on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:43 am

We are tenants and no property owned at the moment - the debt is for just over 8k although they are adding interest - not much yet.

Regardless of the phone call would it not be better to put a rebuttal in writing as well?

dereko
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:54 am

dereko wrote:We are tenants and no property owned at the moment - the debt is for just over 8k although they are adding interest - not much yet.

Regardless of the phone call would it not be better to put a rebuttal in writing as well?
Entirely up to you, but I'd be tempted to see what they come back with and take it from there.

Tiggy
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by dereko on Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:26 pm

Ok thanks Smile

dereko
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by dereko on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:16 am

Credit Limits lnternational Ltd have written back enclosing a copy of the original mortgage agreement with Credit Immobilier from November 2005. The letter just says:

"Further to our telephone discussion on 17th August, please find enclosed a statement of account showing the outstanding balance after the sale of the property in France and a copy of the loan offer/agreement as requested. Looking forward to hearing from you shortly."

I've attached the statement - it's in french with figures but no indication of where it comes from, no address, no details at all.

My wife is off tomorrow on a two week business trip so she is going to write to them saying to acknowledge receipt and that she will look into it when she returns - she doesn't want this hanging over her while she's away.

Any advice welcomed, thanks.

dereko
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by dereko on Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:20 am

Not sure the attachment
worked - trying again .....

dereko
Newb
Newb

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy on Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:23 pm

To be honest I simply wouldn't engage with them, they don't appear to have an order from the French Courts / a European Enforcement Order so at the moment they've really got no teeth. The more your wife contacts them, the more they realise they've got her worried and will escalate the pressure.

Tiggy
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by petesomething on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:05 pm

Always remember DCA will lie , and will try to make you worry its part of there game,
petesomething
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum