» Hoist Portfolio Holding Limited
by Indebttoo Today at 9:17 pm

» Good news
by Society of the Spectacle Today at 8:48 pm

» Lowell threatening me Again !!
by barnwebb Today at 8:29 pm

» in house enforcement agents
by Sharpysparky Today at 6:51 pm

» How to check my credit file without alerting debt collectors?
by jims45 Today at 5:58 pm

» CCJ Delivered. I was unaware as i dont live at the address
by waylander62 Today at 5:48 pm

» judge arrested (lawfully) by a cop (who's jailed). Outrageous
by handle Today at 6:52 am

» More Apples
by assassin Today at 2:37 am

» Just a quick hello
by assassin Today at 1:50 am

» 24 Storey Tower on Fire in Kensington - dies
by Awoken2 Yesterday at 11:44 pm

» AI take over?
by chong Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Reality chat with peter howard and company
by Society of the Spectacle Yesterday at 7:40 pm

» Administration of Justice Act 1970 forbids creditors to falsely pretending to be officially authorised to collect payment
by Stevro Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Bailiffs are a coming
by Jacko Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Reclaiming cash value for loans ive paid off in the past
by urchinatheart Yesterday at 1:03 pm

» Essex & Suffolk Water
by Sharpysparky Yesterday at 10:08 am

» Barclaycard Mercers Default Notices Are Invalid
by Kestrel Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:52 pm

» Debt purchaser using DCA to initiate court proceedings but purchaser without permissions is on court papers
by Kestrel Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 pm

» Threatened bankruptcy proceedings
by ande Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:55 pm

» Keep up...
by chong Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:50 pm

» Hello all from new member, hoping to overcome the fear this time
by ande Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:47 pm

» Discovery, Bluffing and False and Misleading Conduct.
by handle Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:03 pm

» Drydens Fairfax
by Swan Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 am

» Notice Of Conditional Acceptance / Promissory Notes
by Ausk Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 am

» Ways of protecting assets from creditors
by Ausk Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:08 am

» Member of the old GET OUT OF DEBT FREE. So glad i found this site again
by Logan1989 Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 pm

» Did you have the money / use the credit?
by handle Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:20 pm

» sol excalibre with cookiemonster
by Society of the Spectacle Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:01 pm

» Beware of ancestry DNA websites
by jss64 Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:26 pm

» Dr. Graham Downing 5G and A.I talk
by ditchit Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:34 pm

» PoE
by ditchit Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:02 am

» Set Aside Application, Can Claimant Provide Proof Of Claim?
by Kestrel Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:00 am

» Is this what Greg Hallet was talking about?
by handle Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:38 pm

» old man tells joke
by handle Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:07 pm

» Anti nano tech
by chong Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:31 am

» Mediation Time. How to fire off your defence?
by onak Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:26 am

» FOS complaints and civil proceedings
by handle Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:27 am

» CCJ circa 2013 vs Santander, now Cabot/Mortimer Clarke chasing
by hughythomas Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:51 am

» Cabot help
by Benjisaurus Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:31 am

» Hello to all of you
by assassin Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:21 am

» Geopathic Stress, 5 G, Microwave Radiation Toxicity, Smart meters.
by daveiron Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:03 am

» Cabot- is there a realistic chance to fight them?
by handle Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:34 pm

» Distopian Future Documentarys,
by Society of the Spectacle Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:19 pm

» NIP - speeding with photo evidence
by daveiron Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:57 pm

» Latest Rich Planet vids Richard Hall
by daveiron Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:46 pm

» Hoist Portfolio/Howard Cohen – Letter of Claim ?
by barnwebb Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

» Brown all CAPS window letter with "Defendant" visible!
by itheman Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Moon phases

Food Dehydrating

Go down

Food Dehydrating

Post by actinglikeabanker's Ghost on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 am

In days gone by dehydration used to be commonplace as certain foodstuffs were only available during season and were either not available or cost prohibitive to buy all year round.

Today, many people still dehydrate. There are many reasons why they dehydrate, some do it for what is referred to as prepping, some do it to beat the cost of foodstuffs as they raise during the year and some do it simply because when they come to harvest their home grown fruit and veg that they just cant eat it all before it goes bad.

Whatever your reasons for dehydrating it is nice to know that you have some food on hand should anything go wrong or our just in time food delivery system should not get there, just in time.

The dehydrator that I am using in this example is the 'Excalibur 9 Tray Black Dehydrator with Timer 4926TB',

The Excalibur 9 Tray Dehydrator with Timer is renowned for offering quality, dependability and excellent performance, attributes highlighted by its 5 year domestic warranty. With 35 years of manufacturing experience, it is clear to see why the Excalibur dehydrator range stands as a clear market leader. The patented Parallexx horizontal airflow over the 9 removable polycarbonate dishwasher safe 380mm x 380mm trays allows continuous even drying, eliminating the need for restacking whilst its adjustable thermostat ensures precise user control. Offering perfect drying results, this exceptional food dehydrator is ideal for the preparation of a variety of herbs and spices, the raising of your very own bread and dough, making yogurt, drying a selection of fruit and vegetables, and a range of meat and fish.

There are many alternatives to the Excalibur and many that can be purchased at a lower cost, I chose to go with the Excalibur based upon the research that I did and felt it was the right one for my family. It is also possible to dehydrate without a dehydrator using the sun or even just your oven.

A couple of weeks ago due to the freezing weather all of the supermarkets had veggies on at around 20 pence a pack so I took the opportunity to stock up on some food items that we use on a regular basis, dehydrated foodstuffs are great for snacks and making easy slow cooker meals.  

Pre-treatment, certain items get blanched, one of the reasons for blanching is that it can stop discolouration that sometimes occurs during the drying process. There are multiple methods to pre-treatment, the following is not an exhaustive list.

Dipping, dipping is used to prevent fruits and veg from oxidizing, one method is to use 'Sodium Bisulfite'(SB) just make sure it is food grade. For fruits mix one and a half tablespoons of SB with one gallon (approx 3.8 litres) and soak fruit slices for five minutes of fruits cut in half for fifteen minutes then rinse. For veggies and steam blanching add one teaspoon of SB per cup of water used.

In this example I have used standard blanching in boiling water for three minutes and then blotted to remove the excess water before dehydrating.

After any pre-treatment that you have decided to use then tray up your fruit, veg, fish, meat, yogurt etc. Ensure that you have small spaces between each of the pieces to allow for air flow.

Set your temperature for the type of foodstuffs that you are drying. As this temperature is specific for the Excalibur it is only an example and not a strict requirement and other devices may vary greatly or not have a temperature adjustment function available. Here are some examples for when using an oven : https://dehydratorblog.com/food-dehydrating-time-temperature-guide/ however, as a side note it may be quite costly to run your oven for long periods for the purposes of dehydrating. The dehydrator used in this example is 600 watts and I try to run it during daylight hours when the solar panels are producing some electric

Rehydrating methods, there are many methods to rehydrating and my favourite one is in the slow cooker as I can fill it in the morning and go about my daily tasks and by the evening there is a nice warm meal ready to eat. Some examples are using an electric steamer, boiling water, cooking or soaking so experiment away and see what suits you best.

actinglikeabanker's Ghost
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Re: Food Dehydrating

Post by assassin on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:43 am

Dehydration may be a forgotten method of food storage but it is one of the most effective methods of preserving foods for long periods, and is a method discouraged by commercial producers and retailers as it gives them more sales of more products over a much longer term so it is all about profit for them, and of course for all the chemical producers they buy from.

How about putting up some costs of these machines for people to make comparisons as to their viability for home produce storage as many people may see them as a viable long term option if they grow their own foods.

PS: send me some of those dehydrated bananas as I love them.
assassin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lopsum on Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:14 am

some compounds in fruit and veg become more potent after being dehydrated , ginger for eg .(gingerol turns into shogaol Surprised )
home made re hydrateable meals would be tasty with some experimenting.
Lopsum
Admin
Admin

http://goodf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by actinglikeabanker's Ghost on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:45 pm

assassin, I spent about 2 hours writing a long post about the pro's and con's to the different types of dehydrators, costs, size, effectiveness etc etc then accidentally pressed the back button on the web page and lost it all. Total face palm moment, I will do another one at some point and put it up.

Agreed Lopsum I love them especially in the slow cooker which costs very little to run.

actinglikeabanker's Ghost
Not so newb
Not so newb

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:50 am

ALAB, if I can suggest saving it as you go, I do this as a matter of course now as I have also lost documents in the same way.

Slow cookers! brilliant things.
assassin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum