The GOODF Approach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Know who you are
by LionsShare Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Chainsaws 1
by assassin Sat May 04, 2024 5:07 am

» Supply What Does It Mean?
by LionsShare Thu May 02, 2024 11:45 am

» Speed ticket Is This The Way To Go?
by flyingfish Wed May 01, 2024 10:11 pm

» DSAR
by brownowl Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:15 pm

» Council Tax questions we should all be asking
by LionsShare Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:20 am

» Whats In A Name?
by LionsShare Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:49 pm

» The infamous DP continus
by Biggiebest Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:20 pm

» Purchased Used car, thew con rod after 4 weeks, 40,000mi on clock, can we get out of the finance?
by assassin Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:19 am

» C'Tax & The Bradbury Pound System
by flyingfish Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 pm

» Warranty issues
by brownowl Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 pm

» Smart Meter and Pre Pay Meter remedy
by daveiron Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 am

» are they feeling the pinch...?
by pitano1 Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:19 pm

» Fruit
by assassin Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 am

» Are Lowell getting desperate ?
by waylander62 Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:08 pm

» Electric Vehicles
by assassin Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:57 am

» Water charges
by daveiron Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:36 am

» 20 mph speed limit enforcable????
by flyingfish Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm

» Allotments
by flyingfish Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:54 am

» Energy debt
by flyingfish Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 am

» HO HO HO not that shinning or with clean hands !!!!!!
by Lopsum Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:04 pm

» Psychological Operation - Evidence on more fraud
by Lopsum Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:00 pm

» Allodial Title
by urchinatheart Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:13 am

» Grow Potatoes
by Mrblue2015 Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 am

» Feed Yourself For Less
by assassin Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:23 pm

» New GOODF - small account closed upon Notice 3
by RaspberryBlu Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:02 pm

» DWP
by daveiron Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 am

» LGA1888 sect79 sub2
by urchinatheart Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 am

» Know Who You Are Even More Volumes To Come
by LionsShare Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:24 am

» Woke, Nimbys, Snowflakes and idiots
by urchinatheart Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:09 am

» Never Buy Seeds Again
by assassin Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:14 pm

» Ovo bank giro?
by LionsShare Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:07 pm

» Is your car a government remote controled car???
by Lopsum Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:48 pm

» peacekeepers apprantly get a c'tax win?
by LionsShare Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:14 am

» Can I Complete The Food Circle
by urchinatheart Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:46 am

» Council tax and summons for arrest
by LionsShare Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:44 pm

» THIS IS THE ONE ?
by schist Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:04 pm

» Garden Share
by assassin Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:37 pm

» Serial Posty been awarded £10'000 for a fake bite
by assassin Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:23 pm

» The new ruling, lie-ability order
by assassin Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:04 pm

by schist Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:00 pm

» DVLA [Hick] Does It Work [Hick] ?
by Miss Kermit Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

» know who you are volume ??
by daveiron Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 pm

» Hopefully A Success
by daveiron Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:28 pm

» Most Complete Bank Giro Credit
by LionsShare Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:06 pm

» Knowing our Lawful rights
by daveiron Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:05 am

» More Illegal Immigrants
by assassin Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:43 pm

» SAR dispute
by assassin Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:32 pm

» There goes Ireland, his off.
by midnight Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:07 pm

» Call to the DVLA
by urchinatheart Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:36 pm

» BEWARE OF TSB BANK
by daveiron Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:53 am

» Help / Advice needed on ongoing neighbour harassment
by memegirl777 Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:51 pm

» United Kingdom? Really?
by assassin Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:17 pm

» DWP and HMRC alleged debts
by assassin Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:20 pm

» HSBC advice please.
by Trishiapp28 Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:36 am

Moon phases

Assignment

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Assignment Empty Re: Assignment

Post by Tiggy Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Assignment is a complicated area, the need to novate a contract is usually for such as construction contracts or insurance policy's where all parties are in agreement to the change of party.

This is Section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925, as you see, there is no requirement to novate 'things in action', there (along with an agreement between assignor and assignee) just needs to be notice given to the debtor.

Legal assignments of things in action.

(1)Any absolute assignment by writing under the hand of the assignor (not purporting to be by way of charge only) of any debt or other legal thing in action, of which express notice in writing has been given to the debtor, trustee or other person from whom the assignor would have been entitled to claim such debt or thing in action, is effectual in law (subject to equities having priority over the right of the assignee) to pass and transfer from the date of such notice—
(a)the legal right to such debt or thing in action;
(b)all legal and other remedies for the same; and
(c)the power to give a good discharge for the same without the concurrence of the assignor:
Provided that, if the debtor, trustee or other person liable in respect of such debt or thing in action has notice—
(a)that the assignment is disputed by the assignor or any person claiming under him; or

(b)of any other opposing or conflicting claims to such debt or thing in action;he may, if he thinks fit, either call upon the persons making claim thereto to interplead concerning the same, or pay the debt or other thing in action into court under the provisions of the M1Trustee Act, 1925.

(2)This section does not affect the provisions of the M2Policies of Assurance Act, 1867.
[F1(3)The county court has jurisdiction (including power to receive payment of money or securities into court) under the proviso to subsection (1) of this section where the amount or value of the debt or thing in action does not exceed [F2£30,000].]

Tiggy

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Guest Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:25 pm

Hi

Tiggy - that is really useful, thank you. Can i just check that in your first sentence 'construction contracts' is correct and not a spell-checked 'constructive contracts'? (i don't want to learn the wrong thing)

Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:20 pm

iamani wrote:Hi

Tiggy  -  that is really useful, thank you. Can i just check that in your first sentence 'construction contracts' is correct and not a spell-checked 'constructive contracts'? (i don't want to learn the wrong thing)

Cheers!

No, I definitely meant Construction Contracts (where they extensively use Novation), here's a better explanation of the difference between Novation and Assignment in construction/ engineering contracts.

http://www.shoosmiths.co.uk/client-resources/legal-updates/Assignment-and-novation-in-construction-and-engineering-projects-6359.aspx

Tiggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:09 pm

i think this validates your assertions that there is no novation if there is an assignment.

1) When one party (OC) wishes to introduce a 3rd party to a contract it has with another, best practice is to novate the contract. This works if all 3 partys agree to the new arrangement.

2) When one party disagrees, any possibility of novation is removed, and if the 1st Party still wishes to involve the new 3rd party it must be by assignment and.....

3).....this is why the recalcitrant 2nd Party (debtor) is wasting their time asking to see a deed of novation. If the debt has been assigned that means a novation either failed or never existed.

4), When an OC assigns a debt, he gives a financial interest in the contract to the 3rd party, but retains his original contractual responsibilities and liabilities, including the obligation to be able to offer good discharge.

5) Am i right in thinking that in an 'absolute' assignment the OC grants the 3rd party all interests,  liabilities and obligations  (including the obligation to be able to give good discharge) connected with the contract/debt to the 3rd party, and removes the OC from the picture completely?

6)  i believe an assignment can only be done against an interest in an insurance or pension policy  -  would you agree?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:20 pm

1) When one party (OC) wishes to introduce a 3rd party to a contract it has with another, best practice is to novate the contract. This works if all 3 partys agree to the new arrangement.

Yes

2) When one party disagrees, any possibility of novation is removed, and if the 1st Party still wishes to involve the new 3rd party it must be by assignment and.....

Yes

3).....this is why the recalcitrant 2nd Party (debtor) is wasting their time asking to see a deed of novation. If the debt has been assigned that means a novation either failed or never existed.

Never existed

4), When an OC assigns a debt, he gives a financial interest in the contract to the 3rd party, but retains his original contractual responsibilities and liabilities, including the obligation to be able to offer good discharge.

Yes, this is called equitable assignment.

5) Am i right in thinking that in an 'absolute' assignment the OC grants the 3rd party all interests,  liabilities and obligations  (including the obligation to be able to give good discharge) connected with the contract/debt to the 3rd party, and removes the OC from the picture completely?

Yes.

6)  i believe an assignment can only be done against an interest in an insurance or pension policy  -  would you agree?

No, you have to read Section 136 again, they can assign any debt or 'other legal thing in action'

Tiggy

Back to top Go down

Post by daveiron Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:36 pm

Hi tiggy,

just for clarification,

2) When one party disagrees,

Would that not require the debtor to be asked ? Clearly they are bypassing that altogether.
daveiron
daveiron
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsShare Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi Tiggy,

does or can this be tied in at all? To challenge the assignment in some way?

http://getoutofdebtfree.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74522
LionsShare
LionsShare

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Hi Tiggy

Thanks, i feel like i 'm making progress. Is there any chance you could humour me a little further? i have a theory revolving around point (6), which, if correct, might blow your socks off (the way you usually do to us).

1) Isn't there usually some sort of insurance against default with construction contracts?

2) Our titles and surnames (our 'assigned person') are our license to do commerce - yes?

3) This 'person' has limited liability in commerce. Am i right in thinking that that limited liability is only enabled by some sort of insurance policy?

4) The 'person' usually operates in D/C (debtor/creditor) commercial jurisdiction?

5) The 'person' has remedies available to him in D/C that can discharge debt - endorsement, A4V, promissory notes/securities. Bills of Exchange stuff. Yes?

6) Might it not then follow (if the above points are correct of course) that an absolute assignment only appears when a debt is vouched safe by insurance?

i realise point (6) is a little contentious. The reason i'm convinced of it is that when i Googled 'absolute assignment' the first article i looked at (and it wasn't a freeman site but something like that 'shoosmiths' site you linked) asserted that an absolute assignment only occurs in cases involving a policy of some sort ie insurance or pension. (i also find it notable that they didn't include 'assurance' policies....)

i can find nothing in sec136 lopa (as posted) that contradicts what i am proposing here, in fact i think it might support my thesis.

Of course i realise this is all conjecture on my part, and i could be wrong, hopefully you can tell me where so i can maybe look in a more appropriate direction.

Thanks for taking the time to inform, i really do appreciate it.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi LionsShare

That bl@@dy Bills of Exchange! i've looked at it several times and it's one of the hardest for me to get my head around. i don't understand most of the terms used so i can't get the initial grasp that would expose a thread to pull at (unlike the lopa136).

The only other one i've looked at that is quite as difficult is the CQV 1666 - though tbh i've not really looked at any that haven't appeared here or the old site or FMOTL (have you noticed 'goodf' has now lost its 'f' ?).

Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:08 pm

daveiron wrote:Hi tiggy,

just for clarification,

2) When one party disagrees,

Would that not require the debtor to be asked ?  Clearly they are bypassing that altogether.
Of course they're bypassing it - they're NOT novating the contracts, they're assigning them. Why would they ask if you're happy to novate a contract if they're not novating them.

Tiggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:11 pm

LionsShare wrote:Hi Tiggy,

That looks as though that comes from the Bill of Exchange Act, won't be applicable as it's very unlikely they're using Bills of Exchange to purchase the debts.

Tiggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi

Is it possible they wouldn't be using B.o.E. in the hope that we won't apply the remedies within it? Just a thought.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:32 pm

[quote="iamani"]Hi Tiggy

Thanks, i feel like i 'm making progress. Is there any chance you could humour me a little further? i have a theory revolving around point (6), which, if correct, might blow your socks off (the way you usually do to us).

1) Isn't there usually some sort of insurance against default with construction contracts?

Yes, possibly with Construction Contracts ( ie during a huge civil engineering projects they may insure against one of the contractors going into receivership). Has no bearing on assignment though.

2) Our titles and surnames (our 'assigned person') are our license to do commerce  -  yes?

We can engage in 'commerce' (i.e. buy things) from any age by rocking up at your local sweet shop and from memory you don't need to give a name (or be licenced) to buy a sherbet dibdab.

3) This 'person' has limited liability in commerce. Am i right in thinking that that limited liability is only enabled by some sort of insurance policy?

The only limited liability you get is either when you have set up a Limited Company or a Limited Liability Partnership, otherwise you are fully liable for your own actions.

4) The 'person' usually operates in D/C (debtor/creditor) commercial jurisdiction.

We all engage in commerce just about everyday of our lives.

5) The 'person' has remedies available to him in D/C that can discharge debt  -  endorsement, A4V, promissory notes/securities. Bills of Exchange stuff.  Yes?

Show me one person any of the above has worked for.

6) Might it not then follow (if the above points are correct of course) that an absolute assignment only appears when a debt is vouched safe by insurance?

What insurance, you can't possibly extrapolate from the fact large construction contracts may have insurance to 'any debt' being vouched safe by insurance.

i realise point (6) is a little contentious. The reason i'm convinced of it is that when i Googled 'absolute assignment' the first article i looked at (and it wasn't a freeman site but something like that 'shoosmiths' site you linked) asserted that an absolute assignment only occurs in cases involving a policy of some sort ie insurance or pension. (i also find it notable that they didn't include 'assurance' policies....)

As I said before they can assign a debt or any legal thing in action, it doesn't say 'you can only assign an insurance or pension policy' - does it?

Tiggy

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsShare Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:39 pm

iamani wrote:Hi LionsShare

That bl@@dy Bills of Exchange! i've looked at it several times and it's one of the hardest for me to get my head around. i don't understand most of the terms used so i can't get the initial grasp that would expose a thread to pull at (unlike the lopa136).

The only other one i've looked at that is quite as difficult is the CQV 1666  -  though tbh i've not really looked at any that haven't appeared here or the old site or FMOTL (have you noticed 'goodf' has now lost its 'f' ?).

Cheers!
I know this is coming slightly late but was typing out when the last few comments were added.

Hi iamani,

This is all IMO BTW.

My comprehension of BOE 1992 sect59 sub sect 1 & 3.

sub 1 on or after the maturity date of a BOE then good discharge is done by either the recipient (to it was given in the 1st place), or someone else on behalf of, easy to follow I think.

Sub 3 is harder to follow, an accommodated party – accommodation is I think defined as “doing a favour without consideration”  - legal def’n. Is when someone decides to “pay” on behalf of again someone else but signs as an indorser, that is  - when say debt purchaser comes along & signs (purchases the debt for probably next to nothing & then goes off to claim…), only has agreed to pay ? on a BOE but the only main difference this time the debtor will NOT necessarily know it has been paid by someone else & at that point the OC’s Title becomes “defective” – by definition of payment, once paid then it can’t be paid again.

The whole point of this is when a BOE is paid then that’s it its PAID – finished, so how come these debt purchsers can carry on like they have legal title to ? & hound the alleged debtor until…
LionsShare
LionsShare

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:41 pm

LionsShare wrote:
iamani wrote:Hi LionsShare

The only other one i've looked at that is quite as difficult is the CQV 1666  -  though tbh i've not really looked at any that haven't appeared here or the old site or FMOTL (have you noticed 'goodf' has now lost its 'f' ?).

Cheers!
I know this is coming slightly late but was typing out when the last few comments were added.

Hi iamani,

This is all IMO BTW.

My comprehension of BOE 1992 sect59 sub sect 1 & 3.

sub 1 on or after the maturity date of a BOE then good discharge is done by either the recipient (to it was given in the 1st place), or someone else on behalf of, easy to follow I think.

Sub 3 is harder to follow, an accommodated party – accommodation is I think defined as “doing a favour without consideration”  - legal def’n. Is when someone decides to “pay” on behalf of again someone else but signs as an indorser, that is  - when say debt purchaser comes along & signs (purchases the debt for probably next to nothing & then goes off to claim…), only has agreed to pay ? on a BOE but the only main difference this time the debtor will NOT necessarily know it has been paid by someone else & at that point the OC’s Title becomes “defective” – by definition of payment, once paid then it can’t be paid again.

The whole point of this is when a BOE is paid then that’s it its PAID – finished, so how come these debt purchsers can carry on like they have legal title to ? & hound the alleged debtor until…
Because they don't use Bills of Exchange to purchase the debts. A Bill of Exchange is a specific financial instrument only rarely used now in international trade.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/billofexchange.asp

Tiggy

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsShare Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:03 pm

Tiggy wrote:

That looks as though that comes from the Bill of Exchange Act, won't be applicable as it's very unlikely they're using Bills of Exchange to purchase the debts.

Hi Tiggy,

Sorry to be a pain, am confused, perhaps debt purchasers won't directly use BOE to purchase debts but don't we use currency to purchase anything that would come under BOE1882? EG going to supermarket to buy food, at the till you get a receipt which itemizes all, could I simply ask for an invoice or the "bill" to pay?

In the US to pay I know they do say "here is a ? dollar BILL" Ok here we don't say "here is a ? £ BILL" but surely the principal is the same? Have I got it totally wrong then?

IN BOE1882 there is a section on promissory notes sect 4 I think, UK £ notes are prom notes?

In company Memorandum Of Association in normally chapter 13 I think it lists when doing commerce negociable instruments to be used - cash, BOE, cheque, & the list goes on. I know from experience that company Memorandum Of Association are issued by companies house to ALL companies irrespective of trade sector.
LionsShare
LionsShare

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Hi

LionsShare - what i took from it was that they don't use the B.o.E. statute to chase the debt, but it doesn't affect our right to implement it in our defence.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsShare Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:35 pm

LionsShare  -  what i took from it was that they don't use the B.o.E. statute to chase the debt, but it doesn't affect our right to implement it in our defence.

Cheers!
Thanks iamani that's what I was after. Another post to explain follows...
LionsShare
LionsShare

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsShare Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:35 pm

OK form the link I posted earlier:

“As can be seen, and specifically by subsection 1 and 3, once a Bill has been paid, by, or on behalf of the drawee or acceptor, or by the party accommodated, the Bill is discharged. And let us make no mistake, when any DCA purchases an alleged debt/account, it is making a one off payment, therefore paying the Bill. And, therefore, the debt is discharged/paid and cannot, by definition of payment, be paid again.”

Even though debt purchasers may not use BOE to purchase debt it is still 1 instrument that comes under BOE Act 1882, so does prom notes & as we know BO England give us £ notes to use which are prom notes so, IMO sect 59 sub 1,3 should apply.

Comments please…
LionsShare
LionsShare

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi LionsShare

Just seen your B.o.E. post - thanks!

Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi

LionsShare - imo (not that i want to contradict Tiggy) you have it right.

Everything we do is 'international trade' as our persons (foreign situs trust, anyone?) are both traded internationally and trade internationally. Not to mention that the bodies we would use the BOE against are themselves international entities of one sort or another.

Don't forget we are all termed as 'occupiers'......

Tiggy - thanks for all the help, i'm gonna think about it some more and see of i can make more sense of it all.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsShare Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:58 pm

LionsShare  -  imo (not that i want to contradict Tiggy) you have it right.

Everything we do is 'international trade' as our persons (foreign situs trust, anyone?) are both traded internationally and trade internationally.

Tiggy  -  thanks for all the help, i'm gonna think about it some more and see of i can make more sense of it all.

Cheers!
Hi iamani,

As Tiggy has spent it would appear (no offense Tiggy) many hours reading statutes/acts we are coming at this from different angles & Tiggy is simply forcing us to go & research for ourselves - which is a good thing instead of spoon feeding, putting forward differing points of view & as we bring ideas here we can then "have you seen this or that" brings forth conclusion which will be at least plausable on what ever subject.

Your last point to me iamani brings in & even further supports (in this case) what I have said as a good example!

Just in case we do have it wrong it is still important even if its slight comments to have those that are more experienced to come in, No you are wrong because of...
LionsShare
LionsShare

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiggy Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:04 pm

LionsShare wrote:
Tiggy wrote:

Hi Tiggy,

Sorry to be a pain, am confused, perhaps debt purchasers won't directly use BOE to purchase debts but don't we use currency to purchase anything that would come under BOE1882? EG going to supermarket to buy food, at the till you get a receipt which itemizes all, could I simply ask for an invoice or the "bill" to pay?

In the US to pay I know they do say "here is a ? dollar BILL" Ok here we don't say "here is a ? £ BILL" but surely the principal is the same? Have I got it totally wrong then?

IN BOE1882 there is a section on promissory notes sect 4 I think, UK £ notes are prom notes?

In company Memorandum Of Association in normally chapter 13 I think it lists when doing commerce negociable instruments to be used - cash, BOE, cheque, & the list goes on. I know from experience that company Memorandum Of Association are issued by companies house to ALL companies irrespective of trade sector.
A Bill of Exchange is a form of promissory note.

A cheque is an example of a promissory note and classed as legal tender, so what do you do if someone says 'I don't accept cheques anymore'? Is there anything that forces them to accept it?

If you don't 'have' to accept cheques, how do think you can force someone to accept your Promissory Note. Just because a company says in their MorA that they will accept a PN or even a Bill of Exchange does not mean they have to, just in the same way they don't 'have to' accept cheques!

Tiggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next