The GOODF Approach
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» are they feeling the pinch...?
by pitano1 Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» C'Tax & The Bradbury Pound System
by LionsShare Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Fruit
by assassin Yesterday at 4:36 am

» Are Lowell getting desperate ?
by waylander62 Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:08 pm

» Electric Vehicles
by assassin Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:57 am

» Water charges
by daveiron Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:36 am

» 20 mph speed limit enforcable????
by flyingfish Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm

» DSAR
by brownowl Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:59 pm

» Allotments
by flyingfish Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:54 am

» Energy debt
by flyingfish Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 am

» HO HO HO not that shinning or with clean hands !!!!!!
by Lopsum Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:04 pm

» Psychological Operation - Evidence on more fraud
by Lopsum Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:00 pm

» Allodial Title
by urchinatheart Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:13 am

» Grow Potatoes
by Mrblue2015 Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:18 am

» Feed Yourself For Less
by assassin Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:23 pm

» New GOODF - small account closed upon Notice 3
by RaspberryBlu Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:02 pm

» DWP
by daveiron Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 am

» LGA1888 sect79 sub2
by urchinatheart Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:15 am

» Know who you are
by badvoc Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:51 pm

» Know Who You Are Even More Volumes To Come
by LionsShare Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:24 am

» Council Tax questions we should all be asking
by LionsShare Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:05 am

» Woke, Nimbys, Snowflakes and idiots
by urchinatheart Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:09 am

» Never Buy Seeds Again
by assassin Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:14 pm

» Ovo bank giro?
by LionsShare Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:07 pm

» Is your car a government remote controled car???
by Lopsum Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:48 pm

» peacekeepers apprantly get a c'tax win?
by LionsShare Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:14 am

» Can I Complete The Food Circle
by urchinatheart Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:46 am

» Council tax and summons for arrest
by LionsShare Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:44 pm

» THIS IS THE ONE ?
by schist Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:04 pm

» Garden Share
by assassin Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:37 pm

» Serial Posty been awarded £10'000 for a fake bite
by assassin Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:23 pm

» The new ruling, lie-ability order
by assassin Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:04 pm

by schist Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:00 pm

» DVLA [Hick] Does It Work [Hick] ?
by Miss Kermit Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

» know who you are volume ??
by daveiron Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:38 pm

» Hopefully A Success
by daveiron Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:28 pm

» Most Complete Bank Giro Credit
by LionsShare Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:06 pm

» Knowing our Lawful rights
by daveiron Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:05 am

» More Illegal Immigrants
by assassin Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:43 pm

» SAR dispute
by assassin Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:32 pm

» There goes Ireland, his off.
by midnight Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:07 pm

» The infamous DP continus
by urchinatheart Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:01 pm

» Call to the DVLA
by urchinatheart Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:36 pm

» BEWARE OF TSB BANK
by daveiron Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:53 am

» Help / Advice needed on ongoing neighbour harassment
by memegirl777 Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:51 pm

» United Kingdom? Really?
by assassin Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:17 pm

» DWP and HMRC alleged debts
by assassin Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:20 pm

» HSBC advice please.
by Trishiapp28 Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:36 am

» He is going to save us again
by flyingfish Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:00 pm

» Government fraud
by midnight Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:01 am

» how to remove a shareholder?
by scrwm Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:06 pm

» I DO NOT CONSENT [62%] - ReformUK got 5% of the electorate. Labour 17%
by badvoc Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:25 pm

» What can ai do about Santander
by Godfastro Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:47 am

» Useful videos Council Tax
by daveiron Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:05 pm

» broadcaster vs me
by scrwm Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:37 pm

Moon phases

Amazon. A modern day Christmas Carol?

+4
LionsShare
Awoken2
Jinxer
jss64
8 posters

Go down

Amazon. A modern day Christmas Carol? Empty Amazon. A modern day Christmas Carol?

Post by jss64 Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:44 am

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/companies/timed-toilet-breaks-impossible-targets-and-workers-falling-asleep-on-feet-brutal-life-working-in-amazon-warehouse/ar-BBFDlg1?li=AA54rU&ocid=mailsignout

Timed toilet breaks, impossible targets and workers falling asleep on feet: Brutal life working in Amazon warehouse.

Alone in a locked metal cage, 10 feet from my nearest colleague, a robot approaches from the shadows and thrusts a tower of shelves towards me.

I have nine seconds to grab and process an item to be sent for packing – a target of 300 items an hour, for hour after relentless hour.

As I bend to the floor then reach high above my head to fulfil a never-ending stream of orders, my body screams at me.

Welcome to Amazon’s picking floor. Here, while cameras watch my every move, a screen in front of me offers constant reminders of my “units per hour” and exactly how long each has taken.

This is the online giant’s biggest European packing plant, set to be shipping 1.2 million items a year.

As the UK’s top retailer, it made £7.3billion last year alone. But a Sunday Mirror investigation today reveals that success comes at a price – the daily ordeal of its workers.

I spent five weeks at the firm’s newest warehouse in Tilbury, Essex, armed with a secret camera bought from Amazon’s own website.

I found staff asleep on their feet, exhausted from toiling for up to 55 hours a week.

Those who could not keep up with the punishing targets faced the sack – and some who buckled under the strain had to be attended to by ambulance crews.

It is a far cry from the singing, smiling faces that fill Amazon’s Christmas adverts on TV. Its army of 24,000 unhappy elves are paid as little as seven pence per item to help pack and deliver each one across the UK.

My final shift was two days ago, Black Friday – when millions of Brits logged on to help founder Jeff Bezos earn an extra £1.8billion overnight. But the firm has been hit by a series of scandals, prompting our undercover probe.

Across Italy and Germany staff have gone on strike, complaining of low pay and poor conditions.

And employees at UK warehouses have told of sleeping in tents and under bridges just to get to work on time.

Timed toilet breaks, impossible targets and exhausting, “intolerable” working conditions are frequent complaints. Staff have been paid less than the living wage, and it even emerged drivers had faced fines for “early” deliveries.

As experts warn of workers facing an increased risk of mental and physical illness, Amazon repeatedly promised to clean up its act. But a whiteboard in the plant for staff comments suggests it has far to go.

There were complaints of filthy toilets and breaks still too short.

One asked: “Why are we not allowed to sit when it is quiet and not busy? We are human beings, not slaves and animals.”

I was told by one worker: “I expected it to be all modern and powered by robots in here, but my eyes are wide open now.”

My own story of how I became a human robot could not have been darker. Shifts began in the gloom at 7.30am and ended at 6pm, long after the sun had gone down.

The plant, with no natural light, is flooded with fluorescent bulbs – night and day have no meaning.

Many of the clocks have been covered over with tape by employees desperate not to be reminded how long is left of their shift. But time still rules here – a new package must be sealed and ready to go every 30 seconds.

Whatever the hour thousands of workers are racing to hit goals set by computers monitoring their every move. In my five weeks I saw staff struggling to meet impossible targets, in constant fear of the sack.

Two half-hour breaks were the only time off my feet, but it was barely enough time to race to the canteen and wolf down some food to keep my energy up.

My body ached, and my fitness tracker showed I walked at least 10 miles most days.

Despite being a keen marathon runner, the physical effort left me feeling dizzy, and I worried I might keel over if I kept pushing myself as hard as I needed to meet my targets.

One colleague was taken to hospital by ambulance when they collapsed on the job, after struggling on despite feeling unwell.

Another ambulance was called after a girl suffered a panic attack when she was told compulsory overtime would mean her working up to 55 hours a week over Christmas.

One of my colleagues told me: “Everybody suffers here. I pulled my hamstring but I just had to carry on. My friend spent two days off after she damaged her knee ligaments.”

With my secret camera, I documented colleagues snatching a moment to rest their aching feet when supervisors could not see them. Less lucky ones were told off after being caught taking a breather. Some simply slept where they stood.

Since October Amazon has been racing to fill 1,500 roles at the warehouse, the size of 11 football pitches.

It is so vast that just walking to the toilet could take more than five minutes – almost a third of a mile from some of my workstations, and even longer when those on my floor were out of order, as they often were.

If I went, the system would know I had not been active, so the pressure was on to hold it in. To reach the site, named LCY2 after nearby London City airport, workers pay £4 a day from wages for a bus laid on from London.

Some are so desperate for one of the £8.20-an-hour jobs that they spend four hours each day commuting.

One who wants to move locally told me: “Landlords are putting up rents since the site opened. The only room I can find is £600 a month. I take home £200 a week – how can I afford it?”

In the days leading up to Black Friday, missed performance targets saw scores of staff sacked.

Once a day, a supervisor would approach me to remind me how I was performing. Often it was not well. But with workers pitted against each other, one told me: “As long as you’re not bottom you’ve no need to worry… for the time being.”

Once an item is picked it continues through the building to end up in packing – the other department where I worked.

I was told to pack 120 single items an hour, or 85 multiple items. And I’ve since been told this will rise to 200 items.

Employees can be seen walking up and down conveyor belts rattling boxes before cherry picking ones full of smaller items to meet their quota. A colleague said: “My girlfriend says even the old ladies on night shifts have been fighting over the boxes.

“If you get one with lots of small items you save time and keep your numbers up – everyone’s after those first.”

Sometimes I met my targets, but I knew I couldn’t keep it up much longer.

By halfway through the day I felt drained. If I grumbled I was reminded my numbers would suffer if I stopped. In my final fortnight there were at least two safety incidents that could have seen somebody seriously hurt.

One colleague told me: “At my induction someone was asking why the staff turnover was so high here. It’s because they’re killing people. All my friends think I’m dead. I’m exhausted.”

His remark summed up what I had seen with my own eyes. When it comes to treating its staff as people, Amazon still has much to deliver.

Amazon told us: “Amazon provides a safe and positive workplace with competitive pay and benefits from day one. We are proud to have created thousands of permanent roles in our UK fulfilment centres in recent years.

“We offer great jobs and a positive environment with opportunities for growth. As with most companies, we expect a certain level of performance.

“Targets are based on previous performance achieved by our workers. Associates are evaluated over a long period of time as we know a variety of things could impact the ability to meet expectations in any given day or hour.”
'Staff are just cattle there to serve robots'
a sign on the side of a building: Credits: Moment Mobile ED©️ Provided by Trinity Mirror Shared Services Limited Credits: Moment Mobile ED

My View By ALAN SELBY

Amazon run a tight ship, as you would expect from a company founded by the world’s richest man.

Tilbury warehouse is a slick operation, up to speed on health and safety and workplace law.

But just because it is legal does not mean it is good for you. Weeks before I went in, I had finished a summer running season which included two marathons and a handful of half marathons.

Physically I am no slouch – yet my body felt drained every day.

My blood pressure and resting heart rate both rose from the stresses of the job. One silver lining as I started was that working as a picker might be good exercise. But Amazon has recognised humans are the least efficient part of the operation, so in Tilbury the robots take over.

At every turn it felt like the human staff were reduced to livestock, existing only to service the machines. The repetitive, monotonous work at its ironically named “fulfilment centre” did me no favours mentally, either. In the early weeks I was depressed, until my brain switched off.

Amazon does not have to enforce a 10-hour day, it could stretch its 40-hour week over five days and add more staff.

Extra staff may let it reduce personal targets to lessen the load. But it makes more money by treating its workers as expendable commodities.

jss64
news worthy
news worthy

Back to top Go down

Amazon. A modern day Christmas Carol? Empty Re: Amazon. A modern day Christmas Carol?

Post by Jinxer Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:26 am

One answer to this, all go on the sick for one day a week you will see a change then. Me personally would just down tools, people need to take the power back that my dad and granddad fought hard to get. This generation is full of spineless dickbeaters who just do as there told and I have no sympathy for them.
Oh well at least the Amazon share dividend will be good this year. Let's hope Tesco improve I only got 1p a share this year instead of 10p a share when they were doing good. Spose it's better than the nothing a share for the last 4 years.

Jinxer
Very helpful
Very helpful

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Amazon. A modern day Christmas Carol? Empty Re: Amazon. A modern day Christmas Carol?

Post by LionsShare Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 am

Awoken2 wrote:"But it makes more money by treating its workers as expendable commodities"

I wouldn't be too concerned about this because as soon as Amazon have developed a machine that packs boxes quicker than the workers then their pain will be over. They will then be surplus to requirements.

All corporations only have one commodity and that is the collective energy of the people that make the company generate profit. I would have thought that's quite simple to understand really.

I'm not trying to  be funny here at all but It's common sense isn't it?
Could not have put it any better!
LionsShare
LionsShare

Back to top Go down

Post by Society of the Spectacle Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Ever wonder why all the high street electrical and Book , and Record shops are closing down ?

Amazon is DESTROYING society.
Society of the Spectacle
Society of the Spectacle
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jinxer Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Society of the Spectacle wrote:Ever wonder why all the high street electrical and Book , and Record shops are closing down ?

No were destroying society, if we didn't buy off them then they wouldn't be able to do naf all. Can you remember when the farmers more or less begged us to buy British.

Jinxer
Very helpful
Very helpful

Back to top Go down

Post by Phillpots Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:18 pm

About 20 years ago I started work in an auto industry factory. At first I had the run of the factory doing a job here and moving around. All was great for 3 months, then I was assigned to a small production line. This is were you will now be. I went to it and said nothing and just walked out never to return. Did not want their money for my wages for that day. Walked home thinking how to explain this to my wife with a mortgage and young son. Following day I started the process of starting my own business. Advertised locally and I was awy. Still running same business.

Merry Xmas Amazon and the like.

Phillpots
Very helpful
Very helpful

Back to top Go down

Post by Society of the Spectacle Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:27 pm

Jinxer wrote:
Society of the Spectacle wrote:Ever wonder why all the high street electrical and Book , and Record shops are closing down ?

No were destroying society, if we didn't buy off them then they wouldn't be able to do naf all. Can you remember when the farmers more or less begged us to buy British.

Your dead right,
Many people have been sharing this Article,
and maybe NOW it's time to wake a few more people up to the
consequences of their
WANT IT NOW  attitude.
Laziness is another symptom of
todays societal sickness.

SAVE SANTA; santa
BoyCott Amazon 4 XMAS
Society of the Spectacle
Society of the Spectacle
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:55 am

Its so much more, this is pushing the human barriers so far that other industries will say "well, if Amazon can do it" ............................... then lets do the same, wages will drop, the population become poorer, the rich get richer, and they eventually see people as robots.
assassin
assassin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by landlubber Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:46 pm

The problem is this: We do not have a government that works for us, because we are SLAVES. High street shops are greedy too and only have themselves to blame when the masses turn to shop at Amazon! On my pittance of a pension, I'm forced to either buy where I can afford, or simply go without. Furthermore, companies like Amazon are hiring their workforce in a country that has millions of unemployed and it will get worse with time. Time with come when everything will be done by robots no matter what type of work is involved. If my response has made any difference to the way you think, then ask yourself this...do you have and drive a car? You do! Then you are also part of the problem...why? Because of the word DRIVE. Despite everything said on this forum, you still give a large portion of your income to the government in fuel taxes, profit to the fuel barons and so on. Nothing is going to change in this country just by complaining or sitting back on your backside and doing nothing. Did the Icelandic people just sit back and do nothing? I don't think so. Anyone can complain, but if you don't see the broader picture, then it's hopeless for everyone...

landlubber
news worthy
news worthy

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsShare Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:51 pm

well said LL, could not have put it any better!
LionsShare
LionsShare

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down